MEET DR. LUIS MACIAS
YOUR MARINA DEL REY PLASTIC SURGEON
Meet Dr. Luis H. Macias Internationally renowned, highly-trained, double board-certified plastic surgeon best known for specializing in natural results. Dr. Macias can help you achieve your desired results, whether it be a surgical or non-surgical procedure. He is dedicated to providing the best patient care along with exemplary results. His practice is conveniently located right off the 90 in exclusive Marina del Rey, CA, minutes from LAX.
Dr. Macias is always on the cutting edge, with his techniques and technologies . He travels and participates in symposiums throughout the world to assure he is bringing the latest techniques and procedures to you. In addition to his extensive and impressive training, he travels abroad to learn from some of the worlds leading plastic surgeons. Demonstrating his innovative thinking Dr. Macias developed the 360 Mommy Makeover surgery where he performs breast enhancement, a no drain tummy tuck and fat transfer to the hips and/or the buttocks in order to sculpt your desired shape in a single procedure.
Dr. Macias was born in Chicago, Illinois and his family moved to Los Angeles when he in first grade. Years later, he joined the United States Marine Corps and served his country as an avionics technician for the F/A-18 Hornet fighter jet, reaching the rank of sergeant. He then used the G.I. bill to obtain his undergraduate and medical degrees from UCLA.
Dr. Macias completed a residency in plastic and reconstructive surgery at the Mayo Clinic, followed by a fellowship in microvascular reconstructive surgery at the University of Pennsylvania. Closer to home, Dr. Macias underwent further training in cosmetic surgery in the USC-Marina Plastic Surgery Aesthetic Surgery Fellowship, under the direction of the Dr. Grant Stevens. Dr. Macias is a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS), American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), the California Society of Plastic Surgeons (CSPS), Los Angeles Society of Plastic Surgeons (LASPS) and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS).
Given his achievements, Dr. Macias was appointed as the Aesthetic Program Director at the University of Southern California (USC) Keck School of Medicine Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery where he teaches residents and fellows advanced aesthetic plastic surgery.
In many states, including California, any licensed physician is legally allowed to perform cosmetic procedures without being board-certified in plastic surgery.
There are 24 boards within the “gold standard” American Board of Medical Specialities (ABMS). Of these 24, there is only one which certifies plastic surgeons, the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). Because a physician is “board-certified” does not mean they are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery as they can be certified by any of the other 23 specialties or another board.
- Graduate from an accredited medical school
- Complete a combination of at least five years of general, ENT, or Urology surgery and 3 years plastic surgery residency training or 6 years of plastic surgery training
- Pass comprehensive written and oral exams, including case log examinations to ensure your plastic surgeon is safe
There are many “cosmetic surgeons” who state they are board certified, but only the American Board of Plastic Surgery oversees the training of plastic surgeons. Only ABPS board certified plastic surgeons can become members of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).
Dr. Macias recommends you to do your homework before choosing a plastic surgeon to reassure they are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS).
NAME: Luis Humberto Macias, M.D., F.A.C.S.
University of Southern California, Marina del Rey, California
American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) Endorsed
Aesthetic Surgery Fellowship
Chief: Mark M. Urata, Director: W. Grant Stevens
University of Pennsylvania-Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship
Chief: Joseph M. Serletti, Director: Liza C. Wu
Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Arizona
Plastic Surgery Residency
Chief and Director: Anthony A. Smith
Maricopa County Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona
General Surgery Residency
Chairman: Daniel M. Caruso, Director: Kevin N. Foster
University of California, Los Angeles, School of Medicine
Doctorate in Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles
Bachelor of Science, Physiological Science
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Diplomate, American Board of Surgery
Director, Aesthetic Surgery Program
Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery
University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine of USC
Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
United States Marine Corps
MOS: 6465, Avionics Technician, FA-18
HONORS AND AWARDS:
Among America’s Best Plastic Surgeons, 2016, 2017, 2018
RealSelf 100, 2014, 2015
Patients’ Choice Award, Vitals, 2013, 2014, 2015
Administrative Chief Plastic Surgery Resident, Mayo Clinic Arizona, 2010
Administrative Chief Surgery Resident, Maricopa Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona, 2008
California Latino Medical Association (CaLMA) Community Advocacy Award, 2003
CaLMA Juan Villagomez, M.D. Award, 2002
Chicano/Latino Medical Student Association (CMSA) Community Service Award, 2002
UCLA School of Medicine Josiah Brown Research Excellence Award, 1999
National Institutes of Health (NIH)- MARC Fellow, 1996-1998
USMC Meritorious Mast-Top of Avionics Technician Class, 1993
USMC Meritorious Mast-Top of Hybrid Test Equipment Technician Class, 1993
Fellow, American College of Surgeons
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society of Plastic Surgeons
Member, American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery
Member, International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Member, California Society of Plastic Surgeons
Member, Los Angeles Society of Plastic Surgeons
USC Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Association
Mayo Clinic Alumni Association
UCLA School of Medicine Alumni Association
UCLA Alumni Association
COMMUNITY SERVICE / ACTIVITIES/ MEMBERSHIPS:
2013- Mentor, UCLA Alumni Association Mentorship Program
2014- Homeboy Industries, Tattoo Removal
2014- Advisory Board, MiMentor, Alliance in Mentorship
2004 HELPS International, Medical Mission to Guatemala, Surgical Team member
2002-2003 National Network of Latin American Medical Students (NNLAMS) National Coordinator
2002-2003 Journal of Minority Medical Students Student Editor
1999-2003 Chicano/ Latino Medical Student Association (CMSA) Statewide Treasurer
2000-2002 National Network of Latin American Medical Students (NNLAMS) Treasurer
2000-2001 Chicano/Latino Medical Student Association (CMSA) Statewide Conference Coordinator
2000. Chicano/ Latino Medical Student Association (CMSA) UCLA and Drew Chapter Co-Chair
2003. Member of the UCLA Premedical Enrichment Program (PREP) Admissions Committee
1998. Chicanos/Latinos for Community Medicine (CCM), UCLA Financial Coordinator
- Vartanian E, Gould D, Hammoudeh Z, Azadgoli B, Stevens W, Macias L. The Ideal Thigh: A Crowdsourcing-Based Assessment of Ideal Thigh Aesthetic and Implications for Gluteal Fat Grafting. Aesth Surg J. 2018 Jan 20. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gould D, Macias L, Saeg F, Dauwe P, Hammoudeh Z, Stevens W. Seroma Rates Are Not Increased When Combining Liposuction With Progressive Tension Suture Abdominoplasty: A Retrospective Cohort Study of 619 Patients. Aesth Surg J. 2018 Jan 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Macias L, Kwon E, Gould D, Spring M, Stevens W. Decrease in Seroma Rate After Adopting Progressive Tension Sutures Without Drains: A Single Surgery Center Experience of 451 Abdominoplasties Over 7 Years. Aesth Surg J. 2016 Oct;36(9):1029-35.
- Macias L, Stevens W. Commentary on: An Assessment of Gender Differences in Plastic Surgery Marketing in the United States: Are We Neglecting Our Male Patients? Aesth Surg J. 2016 Jan;36(1):111-2.
- Gould D, Nadeau M, Macias L, Stevens W. Inverted Nipple Repair Revisited: A 7-Year Experience. Aesth Surg J. 2015 Feb;35(2): 156-64.
- Nadeau M, Gould D, Macias L, Spring M, Stevens W. Superior Pedicle Technique of Reduction Mammoplasty: A Stepwise Approach. Aesth Surg J. 2015 Jan; 35(1):94-104.
- Spring M, Macias L, Nadeau M, Stevens W. Secondary augmentation-mastopexy: indications, preferred practices, and the treatment of complications. Aesth Surg J. 2014 Sep;34(7):1018-40.
- Stevens W, Macias L, Chacon C, Spring M, Stoker D, Eberlin S. One-Stage Augmentation Mastopexy: A Review of 1192 Simultaneous Breast Augmentation and Mastopexy Procedures in 615 Consecutive Patients. Aesth Surg J. 2014 May 2;34(5):723-732
- Stevens W, Spring M, Macias L. Counterfeit Medical Devices: The Money You Save Up Front Will Cost You Big in the End. Aesth Surg J. 2014 Apr 21;34(5):786-788.
- O’Cleireachain M, Macias L, Richey K, Pressman M, Shirah G, Caruso D, Foster K, Matthews M. The Blue Man: Burn From Muriatic Acid Combined With Chlorinated Paint in an Adult Pool Construction Worker. J Burn Care Res. 2014 Jul-Aug;35(4):e269-72
- Casey W, Rebecca A, Silverman A, Macias L, Kreymerman P, Pockaj B, Gray R, Chang Y, Smith A.
Etiology of Breast Masses after Autologous Breast Reconstruction. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Sep 1.
- Casey W, Rebecca A, Kreymerman P, Macias L. Computed Tomographic Angiography: Assessing Outcomes
Clin Plast Surg, 2011 Apr;38(2):241-52.
- Swanson S, Macias L, Smith A. Treatment of Bowler’s Neuroma with Digital Nerve Translocation. Hand (N Y).
- Kopelman T, O’Neill P, Macias L, Cox J, Matthews M, Drachman D. The Utility of Diagnostic Laparoscopy in the Evaluation of Anterior Abdominal Stab Wounds. Am J Surg. 2008 Dec;196(6):871-7.
- Clapp B, Melba J, Vigil V, Macias L, Plett M, Cuatemoc G, Kassir A. Patient Comprehension and Recall of
Laparoscopic Surgery and Outcomes in a Non-English Speaking Population, JSLS. 2007 Apr-Jun;11(2):242-5.
- Kumar R, Kim J, Houkoos J, Macias L, Dixon M, Stamos M, Konyalian V. Factors Affecting the Successful Management of Intra-Abdominal Abscesses With Antibiotics and the Need for Percutaneous Drainage, Dis. Colon Rectum, 2006:49: 183-9.
- Macias L, Haukoos J, Dixon M, Sorial E, Arnell T, Stamos M, and Kumar R. Diverticulitis-Truly Minimally
Invasive Treatment, Am Surg, 2005 Oct;70(10):932-5.
- Maverakis E, Beech J, Stevens D, Amentani A, Brossay L, van den Elzen P, Mendoza R, Thai Q, Macias L, Ethell D, Campagnoni C, Campagnoni A, Sette A, and Sercarz E. Autoreactive T Cells Can be Protected From Tolerance Induction Through Competition by Flanking Determinants for Access to Class II MHC, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA, 2003 Apr 29; 100(9): 5342-7.
CHAPTERS\NON-PEER REVIEWED ARTICLES
- Macias L, Kreymerman P, Lucas H, Fardo D, Zins J. Rhinoplasty, Augmentation. eMedicine from WebMD. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1291883-overview. August 02, 2010.
- Macias L. Beautiful Buttocks: Proportional Changes. The Aesthetic Meeting, New York, NY, 2018.
- Macias L. Implant Malposition: Prevention and Treatment. Keck School of Medicine of USC, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Grand Rounds, Los Angeles, CA, 2018.
- Macias L. No-Drain Abdominoplasty. Mountain West Society of Plastic Surgeons, Jackson Hole, WY, 2018.
- Macias L. Natural Buttocks: Proportional Changes in Gluteal Augmentation. Advanced Aesthetic Surgery, Saint Petersburg, Russia, 2018.
- Macias L. 360 Mommy Makeover: How it’s Done. Advanced Aesthetic Surgery, Saint Petersburg, Russia, 2018.
- Macias L. Drainless Progressive Tension Suture Lipoabdominoplasty and Fat Grafting. Advanced Aesthetic Surgery, Saint Petersburg, Russia, 2018.
- Macias L. 360 Mommy Makeover: Adding Fat Grafting to a Mommy Makeover. Global Aesthetic Conference, Miami, FL, 2017.
- Macias L. Drainless Progressive Tension Suture Lipoabdominoplasty and Drainless Circumfrential Body Lifts with Fat Grafting to Buttocks, Keck School of Medicine of USC, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Grand Rounds, Los Angeles, CA, 2017.
- Macias L. Drainless Progressive Tension Suture Lipoabdominoplasty. The Aesthetic Cruise, North Sea, 2017.
- Macias L. 360 Mommy Makeover: Adding Fat Grafting to Mommy Makeover. The Aesthetic Cruise, North Sea, 2017.
- Macias L. Beautiful Buttocks: Proportional Changes. The Aesthetic Cruise, North Sea, 2017.
- Macias L. What is Plastic Surgery?, University of California, Los Angeles CCM Annual Conference, Los Angeles, CA, 2017.
- Macias L. Drainless Progressive Tension Suture Lipoabdominoplasty. Keck School of Medicine of USC, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Grand Rounds, Los Angeles, CA, 2016.
- Macias L. Drainless Progressive Tension Suture Lipoabdominoplasty. Plastic Surgery, Los Angeles, CA, 2016
- Macias L, Kwon E, Gould D, Spring M, Stevens W. Decrease in Seroma Rate After Adopting Progressive Tension Sutures Without Drains: A Single Surgery Center Experience of 451 Abdominoplasties Over 7 Years. The Aesthetic Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, 2016.
- Macias L. Keys to Success, Key Note Speaker, University of California, Los Angeles CCM Annual Conference, Los Angeles, CA, 2016.
- Macias L. Enhance Your Aesthetic Practice with Coolsculpting. Arizona Society of Plastic Surgeons. Scottsdale, AZ. 2015.
- Macias L, Sanniec K, Zuhlke T, Casey W, Leighton W, Rebecca A. Adherence to Photographic Standards: A Review of Plastic Surgeon Websites. Plastic Surgery 2011, Denver, CO, 2011.
- Macias L, Bryant L, Casey W. Rebecca A. Nipple Sparing Mastectomy: Is the trend worth the treatment? Southwest Surgical Congress, Ko Olina, HI, 2011.
- Macias L, Harold K, Rebecca A Chapital A. Pedicled Rectus Femoris Flap for Abdominal Wall Reconstruction with Ostomy Placement Thorough Flalp. Southwest Surgical Congress, Ko Olina, HI, 2011.
- Macias L, Lucas H, Pockaj B. Rebecca A. Kreymerman P. Successful Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy with Immediate Reconstruction In Patients with Previous Mastopexy/Reduction. American Society for Plastic Surgery Senior Residents Conference. Nashville, TN. 2011.
- Kopelman T, O’Neill P, Macias L, Cox J, Matthews M, Drachman D. The utility of diagnostic laparoscopy in the evaluation of anterior abdominal stab wounds. Southwest Surgical Congress, Acapulco, Mexico, 2008.
- Macias L, Haukoos J, Dixon M, Sorial E, Arnell T, Stamos M, and Kumar R. Diverticulitis-Truly Minimally
Invasive Treatment, Southern California American College of Surgeons Meeting, Santa Barbara, CA. 2004.
- Macias L, Sinchak K, Rissman E, and Micevych P. Estrogen activation of -opioid receptors in ovarectomized wild type and estrogen receptor alpha knockout (ERKO) mice, National Student Research Forum at University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB), Galveston, TX. 2000.
- Macias L, Maverakis E, Brossay L, Mendoza R, Campagnoni A, Sette A, and Sercarz E. The Immunodominance of MBP Ac1-9, 5th Annual National AMP Meeting in Las Cruces, NM. 1996.
“One of the best doctors I have ever met. He listens, is professional and gives natural results. Fixing my deviated septum was one of the best decisions I have ever made :-)”
– Anna J.
“I recently got Botox administered by Dr. Macias in my glabella and forehead areas. His injections were quick & extremely efficient. I’m very pleased with the results & definitely recommend him for all of your Botox needs.”
– Seasalt F.
“I recently had my 20 year old implants replaced by Dr. Macias. You will not find a better Plastic Surgeon – he is an Artist! He is also very kind which I have not seen in other surgeon’s I have spoken with. His staff as well as the surgery center and anesthesiologist were also top notch. Thumbs up!”
– Geina B.
“Dr. Macias is a gift from the universe. The results from my breast augmentation were flawless and exactly what I envisioned.
To get the high volume yet natural look I wanted, Dr. Macias recommended tear drop shaped implants through an armpit incision. The result? Absolutely no scars!
Besides delivering outstanding results and being an expert surgeon, Dr. Macias puts his patients at ease with his kind, caring, and thoughtful demeanor.
I cannot recommend Dr. Macias enough. Getting a breast augmentation with him was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.”
– Lola S.